Learn about me: my personality, identity, views and goals.
My Views and Interests
|Category||Views and Interests|
|Philosophy||Rationalist, scientist, ascetic, idealist, Buddhist, free thinker, independent|
|Religion||Brought up Catholic, agnostic/skeptic at 17, gradually became atheist|
|Ethics||humanitarian, activist, volunteer, helper, tolerance, patience, compassion|
|Politics||Progressive, radical, pacifist, socialist, democrat, Africanist, world citizen|
|Environment||Conservationist, green, anti-waste, pollution, cars and pets|
|Possessions||Tightwad, saver, simplicity, minimalist, anti-materialist, anti-corporate|
|Hobbies||Computers, writing, photos, travel, cinema, reading, listening to music|
|Academics||Lifetime student, multidisciplinary, book lover, intellectual|
|Technology||Software and Web design, development, maintenance and evaluation|
|Books||Africa, Web design, education, international development|
|Languages||English, French; German, Spanish; Kiswahili; Ruhaya, Luganda, Oshikwanyama|
|Writing||Diary/journal, dreams, ideas, book reviews, poems|
|Music||Classical (keyboard, French), African, world, jazz, blues, reggae|
|Film/Cinema||African, French/Francophone, world|
|Health||Exercise, health food; abstain from alcohol, drugs, smoking, caffeine|
|Sports||Basketball, tennis, volleyball, golf, running, bicycling, swimming, etc.|
My Personal Ten Commandments
- Be rational.
- Seek knowledge and form opinions based on reason and observation.
- Use scientific methods and rational inquiry including questioning, hypotheses and testing.
- Be open-minded.
- Listen, observe, strive to understand, and withhold judgment.
- Avoid dogmatism, absolutism and indoctrination.
- Tolerate and respect alternative opinions and be willing to change.
- Be honest.
- Portray the truth to others and try to be honest with yourself.
- Focus on what is important.
- Life is short. Make life goals, prioritize, plan, and maximize personal impact.
- Change the world.
- Do not be content with the status quo.
- Take responsibility, voice your opinions, and actively engage in pursuits that will have a genuine positive impact.
- Be just and fair.
- Strive to increase freedom and reduce inequalities, discrimination, hatred, racism, conflict and violence.
- Be kind to others.
- Let compassion, concern, love and respect for others lead to help, service, forgiveness and reduced suffering.
- Work with others.
- Cultivate relationships, collaborate and cooperate with, educate, learn from, empower and be empowered by others.
- Work for the overall good.
- Act selflessly in the best interests of the world, its people and organisms.
- Produce the greatest benefit to the greatest number over time.
- Live sustainably.
- Preserve the earth's natural environment and reduce damage and negative impacts.
- Focus on long-term goals and impacts of your actions.