||Uganda Martyrs University (UMU)
||Operating Systems (Year 2, Term 2)
||8 Weeks, February-May 2003 (see calendar)
|Times and Locations
- Thursdays, 11 am-1 pm, theory, lecture hall
- Fridays, 9:30-10:30 am, practical, B.Sc. computer laboratory
Mr. G. Vogl, 077-606404, gvogl
- To understand the structure and function of operating systems, including the kernel,
user interfaces, process scheduling, memory management, input/output device management,
file systems, interprocess communication, networks and distributed systems, protection,
security and recovery
- To use, examine, compare, select, install, configure, monitor, diagnose and repair
specific operating systems such as Microsoft Windows and UNIX/Linux
Also see the detailed list of learning objectives.
- Thursdays will be theory sessions in the lecture hall. Activities will include lectures, presentations, demonstrations, group discussions and
- Fridays will be practical sessions in the computer lab. Students will follow step-by-step
instructions and complete lab exercises and
- A list of relevant reference books is available.
- Documents and other files will be made available on the
network for reading on the computers, saving to disk, and printing.
||See the instructor's course policies.