Ponhofi Senior Secondary School
Learn about the Ponhofi computers (continuously and as much as possible)
- User files (especially the computers, development and student computers folders in c:\users\ponhofi\)
- Talk with users to find their needs
- Read books and magazines
|Class||Group||Number||Knowledge required of teacher|
|IGCSE Computer Studies||Students||1-3 classes of 35||Advanced|
|Computer Literacy||Students||12 classes of 35||Intermediate|
|Supervised Open Hours||Students||40 or less||Basic|
- Teach advanced and some other classes; obtain, develop and organise teaching materials
- Recruit, supervise, assist, and organise timetable for other computer teachers
Maintain computer hardware and software
|Number||Computer Model||Location||Used By||Peripherals||Major Software|
|20||Acer P120 16/1GB||Computer Lab||Students||Lotus SmartSuite|
|1||Acer P200 32MB/2.5GB||Computer Lab||Staff||scanner, printer, CD kit, net hub, OHP, 17" monitor||MS Office, CD's|
|1||Franklin "Apple II"||Computer Lab||nobody||printer, input devices|
|2||Acer P150 32/2.5||Office||Staff||printer, net hub, CD kit||MS Office, CD's|
|2||Mitac, Auwa 486||Office||Staff||scanner, CD kit||MS Office, CD's|
|3||HP 386 6MB/64MB||Office, TRC||Staff||Lotus 123 r5, WP 6.0|
- Order and install expendables (ink cartridges, paper, diskettes, labels, whiteboard pens, etc.).
- Make minor repairs (clean keyboards and mice, fix monitor settings).
- Troubleshoot problems (printing failures, lost files, quitting programs, programs not responding).
- Clean files on student computers using batch files in \\ondjaba\c\users\ponhofi\student computers\batch files.
- Make regular backups of system and users' files on teacher computers (e.g. incremental weekly, full monthly).
- Make more free disk space (e.g. defrag monthly, delete files, compression, reformat/reinstall everything).
- Decide which development projects below are appropriate and implement them.
- Think of your own ideas for new development projects and implement them if they are appropriate.
- Keep in mind long-term development, appropriate technology, ease of maintenance, and Ponhofi's budget.
- Document your changes, procedures and problems.
- Return monitor to Schoemans for refund or replacement
- Get refund or replacement for HP DeskJet 540 printer from Schoemans; for Zip drive and disks from NCS
- Revive the Franklin computer
New hardware (also see status report)
- Install the 386 computers
- Order more printers for office, TRC, library
- Get network cables to connect office, computer lab, TRC
- Get network cables and network cards to connect the three 386 computers to the existing network
- Upgrade memory in old computers (Onghoshi from 20 to 32 MB, Okambishi from 12 MB to 16 or 32 MB)
- Video conference camera, Web phone, digital camera, joystick, MIDI music keyboard, radio/tv/video grabber
New software (obtain, install, learn, use, teach)
- Internet Explorer 4, Windows 98, FrontPage
- Educational software (buy CD's especially network-ready ones, download shareware from Internet)
- Norton Utilities, Antivirus, Navigator for student and office computers
- Write educational software (e.g. using VB Script 2.0 and IE 4.0)
- Improve the QBASIC programs (maybe by converting them to another language)
- Make a better backup system (more efficient, more systematic, more complete, safer, Zip or tape drive)
- Improve file security on student and office computers
- Reduce need for maintenance chores (by improving batch files, editing registries, standardising file locations)
- Improve organisation of shortcuts and folders in start menu; standardise programs on all office computers
- Get Internet connection
- Get phone line for computer lab (or move modem from Ondjaba to Etotongwe)
- Set up web browser to access the Internet; Enable all Ponhofi computers to access the Internet
- Set up electronic mail software to send and receive local and Internet mail
- Find useful educational software and information on the Internet
- Make new Ponhofi web site or improve existing one (using FrontPage express, Word, Publisher, Notepad, etc.)
- Make it easy for students to create their own web pages
- Put Ponhofi web site on the World Wide Web
Computerise school data
(Select, obtain, install and learn appropriate software, enter and process data, teach appropriate people)
- Library catalogue for librarian (Albert)
- Inventory of science laboratories and other teaching equipment for teachers (Mamudu, Lydia)
- Accounts for accountant (Meme Yambeko)
- Marks and report cards for all students and teachers
(Order, buy, get donations, make available in library)
- Books (technical and student resources)
- Magazine subscriptions (SA Computer Buyer, PC Magazine SA, SA PC World, Technology Update, Computers in Africa)